|"That's one small step for man... one giant leap for mankind."|
- Apollo 11
- Why did the US begin the Apollo programme? What was its aim?
- What was the purpose of the first Apollo missions (especially Apollo 8, 9 and 10)?
- How was Apollo 11 designed?
- Who were the three astronauts who would travel on Apollo 11? How were they trained?
- The Mission
- How was the launch covered by the media?
- What were the three rocket stages?
- What were conditions aboard Columbia like?
- Landing on the Moon
- Describe the moon landing.
- What equipment did the astronauts have?
- What did they do while on the moon's surface? Why?
- Returning to Earth
- What did the command module face on the way back? Where did it land? What was the response they received?
- Results of the Moon Landing: What were they?
|The plaque that Armstrong and Aldrin left on the Moon. It's still there, along with their footprints.|
Higher Level (100 marks each)
2016: What was the significance of the moon landing (1969) and/or Star Wars?
2014: How did the Americans achieve a successful moon landing in 1969 and what was its importance for the US?
2011: Why did the US lose the Vietnam War and/or what was the significance of the Moon landing?
2010: What was the impact of the Moon landing on US domestic and foreign affairs?
2006: What was the importance of one or more of the following: McCarthyism; the Moon Landing, 1969; developments in information technology?
2014, The United States and the World, Part C
2010, The United States and the World, Part C:
How did the US achieve a moon landing in 1969 and what was its importance? (40)
2011, The United States and the World, Part C
2007, The United States and the World, Part C:
How was it possible for the US to achieve a Moon landing? (40)
2015, The United States and the World, Part B
2006, The United States and the World, Part B:
Write a short paragraph on the Moon landing, 1969. (30)
|The Apollo 11 astronauts at an event to honour them with President Richard Nixon.|