|Aircraft such as these took part in the Battle of Britain.|
You will also examine how technology influenced the war, from the tanks and aircraft that were used to the computers that were developed to break codes, as well as looking at the alliances that were set up between different countries. In the next section, you'll learn how the war impacted on society.
Continue to Society during World War II
It might seem like there's more than usual to know for this section, but there are no Key Personalities and no Case Studies associated with it, so it balances out.
- 1939 - 1940:
- Invasion of Poland, results.
- Russo-Finnish War.
- Phoney War.
- Invasion of Denmark and Norway.
- Invasion and Fall of France.
- The Battle of Britain (the Blitz, the war at sea).
- 1941 - 1942:
- Operation Barbarossa (the Battle of Stalingrad).
- American entry to the war.
- 1943 - 1945:
- Operation Husky.
- Operation Overlord (D-Day).
- The defeat of Germany.
- Wartime Alliances:
- Pacts and Treaties: Pact of Steel, Nazi-Soviet Pact, Anti-Comintern Pact, Atlantic Charter.
- Conferences: Casablanca, Tehran, Yalta, Potsdam - decisions taken.
- Technology of Warfare:
- Tanks: German panzers, Russian T-34s.
- Aircraft: RAF, Luftwaffe, radar, Mustangs, Spitires, Navigation systems, V-2 rockets.
- Subs: U-boats, sonar, Enigma.
- Impact of technology (computers).
|Soldiers in a trench during the war.|
Higher Level (100 marks each)
2011: What did one or more of the following achieve in Britain during the period 1920 - 1945?
J.M. Keynes, those who took part in the Jarrow March, Winston Churchill.
2009: What did you learn about World War II from your study of one or more of the following:
wartime alliances, collaboration/resistance, technology of warfare?
2007: How significant was the role played by the Soviet Union in World War II?
2006: What developments took place in the technology of warfare during the period 1920 - 1945?
2015, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part C:
How successful was Stalin's leadership during World War II? (40)
2012, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part C:
What did Winston Churchill contribute to British victory in World War II? (40)
2015, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part B
2011, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part B:
Write a short paragraph on the technology of warfare. (30)
2011, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part C:
What did Winston Churchill and/or J.M. Keynes contribute to Britain? (40)
2010, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part B:
Write a short paragraph on France during World War II (also asked in 2007), or
The Battle of Stalingrad. (30)
2010, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part C
2008, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part C:
How successful was Winston Churchill as a wartime leader between 1940 and 1945? (40)
2009, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part B
2007, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part B
2006, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part B:
Write a short paragraph on Winston Churchill. (30)
|Hitler in Paris after the fall of France in 1940.|
Links go here
Links go here