Main Page: Social Change in 20th Century Ireland
This is not a complete list of the short questions on this topic from past papers, it is a
Click here for exam question tips.
SHORT QUESTIONS (OL only)
1. Name one major change in housing that occurred in twentieth century Ireland. (2011 OL)
2. Name one major change in the lives of women in Ireland during the twentieth century.
(2011 OL, 2010 OL, 2008 OL)
3. Mention one major change in farming in Ireland since 1945. (2008 OL)
PEOPLE IN HISTORY (OL and HL)
Both links take you to the same page.
An old person talking about changes that have taken place in Ireland in the countryside or in the cities since 1900.
(2012 OL, 2010 OL)
An old person talks about changes in entertainment, housing, transport and communications that have taken place in Ireland since 1950.
LONG QUESTION (Q.6) (HL)
2012 HL Q.6B
1. Give three major changes in entertainment during the 20th century. (2x3)
2. Identify three major changes in housing since 1945. (2x3)
3. Give three major changes in road and transport since 1945. (2x3)
4. What are the main changes in the world of work since 1945? (12)
2011 HL Q.6B
1. Mention two types of primary source a historian could use to find out about social history in Ireland.
2. Identify three changes in agricultural life since the 1930s (2x3)
3. Write about changes in two of the following areas since the 1940s: (10x2)
(b) Women's lives.
(c) Sport and leisure.
2008 HL Q.6B
1. Explain how three of the following sources would be useful in studying social change in Ireland:
Church records; School roll-books; Census reports; Diaries (2x3)
2. Identify three changes in urban housing in Ireland since the 1920s. (2x3)
3. Identify three changes in education since 1960. (2x3)
4. Write about the impact on Irish life of the changes in communications since 1960. (12)