|Some of the people who marched from Jarrow to London in October 1936.|
- Where was it? What did it suffer from? What were its problems?
- Jarrow Borough Council, Ellen Wilkinson MP.
- Petition requesting the government to provide industry to the town.
- Signed by 11,000 people. 200 men selected to march.
- The Jarrow Crusade:
- Why was it called a Crusade?
- Mouth organ band, transport van, town halls.
- Wilkinson at the Labour Party Conference.
- The government's response.
- The shock waiting for the marchers when they got home.
- Jarrow after World War II: the Welfare State (march's contribution)
Higher Level (100 marks each)
2011: What did one or more of the following achieve in Britain during the period 1920 - 1945:
J.M. Keynes, those who took part in the Jarrow March, Winston Churchill?
2007: What were the causes and consequences of the Jarrow March, October, 1936?
2015, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part C
2012, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part C:
Why did the Jarrow March (October, 1936) take place and what did it achieve? (40)
2010, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part C:
Why did the Jarrow March take place, October 1936, and what did it achieve? (40)
2008, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part C:
What were the economic and social conditions in Britain that led to the Jarrow March in October 1936? (40)
2006, Dictatorship and Democracy, Part C:
How did the Jarrow March reflect the social and economic problems of industrial England in the 1930s? (40)
|Ellen Wilkinson MP|
A brief YouTube video showing original footage of the march, the petition being read out, and the official response of the government.
The Guardian: With the Jarrow Marchers
The original Guardian story from 1936 reporting as the Jarrow marchers reached Harrogate, roughly a third of the way to London.
Re-enactment of Jarrow March fizzles out after just a quarter of the journey (The Telegraph)
2011 was the 75th anniversary of the march, but a commemorative anniversary march did not go so well...
Farewell to last Jarrow marcher (BBC News)
The last surviving member of the Jarrow March, Cornelius Whalen, died in 2003 aged 93.
BBC History: The Jarrow March
The BBC's overview of the march and the circumstances that caused it.
A biography of the Labour MP for Jarrow.